Built at Burrard Dry Dock, Vancouver, HMCS Skeena, a St. Laurent Class destroyer, was commissioned on 30 March 1957. On 14 August 1965, after a year's work at Davie Shipbuilding, Lauzon, she was re-commissioned in DDH (helicopter-carrying) format and allocated for service out of Halifax. In 1972 she was designated a French Language Unit. Along with HMCS Fraser and HMCS Protecteur, she provided security, rescue crews and emergency support at the Montreal Olympics of 1976. HMCS Skeena underwent her Destroyer Life Extension refit at Montreal between 12 April and 20 November 1981. After steaming more than 980,000 nautical miles, the venerable Cold War veteran of Canadian sovereignty patrols, officer training, countless national and international exercises and operations was paid off on 1 November 1993.